There are nearly 20 million shipping containers criss crossing the planet right now. Nearly 90% of global trade is from shipping. That is how important it is to the global economy. One shipping container ship has the power that is at least one thousand time that of the typical family car. People who are looking for new shipping containers for sale may not be looking to ship anything at all, however.
People use shipping containers for a number of uses. They are used in container pop up shops around the country. People live in them, use them as guest houses, garages, shelters, sheds and portable office space. Some companies recognize that employees take more sick leave when they are crammed together in a small space. When two people share an office, they take at last 50% more sick leave than when they have their own office. Recent research shows that as more and more people work in the same space, the more everyone takes sick leave. Looking at new shipping containers for sale and using a steel cargo container as an expansion for an office may cut down on the amount of sick leave your employees take.
6 Tips for Buying Steel Shipping Containers:
- Where are you located? If you are near a port, there should be plenty new shipping containers for sale all around you. If you are in a land locked area, you will need to have the steel cargo container shipped to you. You can also rent a truck to pick it up.
- Check on Craigslist and eBay. Is there anything you cannot find on Craigslist? Probably not. If you are looking for new shipping containers for sale, Craigslist should be your first stop. You may even luck out and find one that offers free shipping. Remember to factor that into the cost. The listing may look great until you remember you have to get the shipping container to your location. EBay is also an option and is worth searching. Many of the new shipping containers for sale that you find on Craigslist and eBay, you should also be able to get one with a warranty.
- Consider used shipping containers for sale. If you are near a port, you can actually check out the used containers in person and that is more important when you are looking at used containers than when you are considering new shipping containers for sale. If you go to warehouses and look at their used shipping containers, before you buy one, make sure the warehouse is legally allowed to sell it. Sometimes the shipping company owns the container. Usually used shipping containers have phone numbers painted on them. Call it and see who owns it before you buy it.
- Buy a container made from cor-ten steel. There are different materials that are used to manufacture shipping containers and you want one that will last a long time and hold up well in bad weather. They are typically designed to handle salt water and to get very wet but you want a container made from the best material. Especially if you plan to live in it.
- Have it inspected. You can have someone from the Institute of International Container Lessors check out the container you want to buy. This will, at the very least, give you some peace of mind by hiring an inspector to look over any container you are interested in buying.
- Negotiate, negotiate, negotiate! We have a ton of containers that are just sitting and collecting dust all over the country. That means it is a buyers’ market. You should not just take the first price a seller gives you. You can and should negotiate with the seller. They need the space and could probably use the cash for the containers that are doing them no good. Try to get free shipping of the container (they cannot say “yes” if you do not ask).
People are finding more and more new and creative ways to use shipping containers. They have been used to make children’s playground, art museums and some homes that rival traditional houses. With some creativity, you can do a lot with one.
Latest posts by Sarah Todd (see all)
- Are You a Small Business Owner Looking for Someone to Take Care of Your Billing and Payroll Services? - October 15, 2017
- Vibratory Screeners 101 - September 28, 2017
- Is Your Company Looking for Packaging Designs for a New Product? - September 28, 2017